Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Power to the power bar


I am proud to say that I've been pretty good about going to the gym lately. It's about time I dropped the 10 pounds I gained sampling my way through Thailand (NO regrets!)

It is my usual practice to snack on a Balance Bar post workout. Sort of a treat but in a healthy way. I am also a fan of post work out refueling, it definitely helps my physical recovery and my mental attitude. So a snack that has quality carbs, protein, tastes good and can be dropped into my gym bag wins.

I have my favorites and I don't mind schlepping to Trader Joe's to stock up, but the last time my little pile cost me some coin for, well, such a little pile. 

I certainly have all the stuff to make my own, and so, there you have it- the kernal, the spark, the moment of genesis. I love it when my kitchen becomes laboratory.

I like crunch and I don't like too sweet and I prefer a jolt of protein for good measure, so that was the challenge.

I went hunting around online for some ideas and didn't really like anything I saw, but I liked some concepts and discovered what I didn't like. Not too cakey, not too nutty or granola-y either.

I settled upon a sortof kindof rice crispy treat thing. I have a bag of chia seeds in the fridge and this seemed like a perfect vehicle. I also had some dried goji berries from my trip to Thailand and a jolt of chocolate is my idea of healthy antioxidants.

The entire batch cost me approx $5, much less than the 16 bars would have cost me. I am pleased with the combination but have some more ideas for the next time. Gotta sneak in some more protein and more fiber. The nutritional breakdown is pretty good though, so no complaints really. (see attached to printable recipe).

I wrapped them in wax paper and stored them in plastic bags. Easy to grab either coming or going to the gym.


Rice Crispy Power Bar
(printable)

3/4 c agave syrup
3/4 c fresh ground peanut butter
1 T gelatin softened in 3 T of water
3 C rice crispies
1/4 t salt
2T Chia Seeds
1/2 C Dried Goji Berries
1/2 C chopped semi sweet chocolate

In saucepan combine agave syrup and peanut butter. Warm over medium heat, stirring smooth, until bubbly. Remove from heat and add gelatin. Stir thoroughly until completely incorporated. Stir in salt.

In separate larger bowl combine the rice crispies, chia seeds, goji berries and stir to combine. 

Pour peanut butter mixture over dry ingredients and stir to incorporate. When cooled a little bit add chocolate and quickly and gently combine.

In baking pan sprayed with cooking spray, dump mixture in and pat evenly with hands. Allow to cool completely.

Remove from pan and cut into 16 equal pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment